You are here
Learning to Develop with Salesforce and PHP - Winter '14
Finding resources and documentation for salesforce may not be difficult. A google search reveals a lot of information. A lot of which is not practical for most people. For people who learn by example, like myself, it's hard to find some more concrete uses and cases for real life cases.
Places to start
First you probably need to create a sales force developer account:
- Sales Force Developer Signup - In order to play with salesforce you need to have an account
Salesforce PHP SDK
Salesforce provides a PHP Software Development Kit (SDK):
If you like creating things I would suggest trying their first walkthrough and creating a Salesforce application:
The walkthrough is actually quite helpful to understand the existing API for Salesforce.
Try using their cookbook entries
Salesforce also provides a cookbook section:
- Salesforce - Top cookbook recipes
- Interact with force.com and PHP - This is probably the best example i've found which provides you the smallest amount of use case to learn quickly how to authenticate and interact with the salesforce API
Unfortunately, it seems that there is just one PHP cookbook entry that someone has kindly provided.
From there you can either learn more about their API with their developer documentation:
- Salesforce Documentation Landing page - provides an index of useful docs to review.
- API Overview - This seems like the best place to review which API to use. Sales Force offers a variety of different API's
- Soap API Documentation
Only some of their webinars are a bit helpful. I've listed the best ones:
This one covers testing and debugging. A lot of which provides detail about Apex; their salesforce developed meta language. You can skip to 1:30 to skip through their introductions and the fluff:
This video covers learning Apex and provides a good introduction to Apex: Intro to Apex Code Webinar